Principal Data Scientist
Walmart Stores SUNNYVALE, CA
About the Job
As a Data Scientist you will play a unique role in driving the future of the next generation Forecasting models researching, designing and implementing cutting edge algorithms. Responsibilities include:
• Conduct advanced statistical analysis to provide actionable insights, identify trends, and measure performance
• Build learning systems that monitor data flows and react to changes in customer preferences and business objectives
• Collaborate with engineers to implement and deploy scalable solutions
• Provide thought leadership by researching best practices, conducting experiments, and collaborating with industry leader
• PhD in statistics or machine learning or Applied Mathematics or related technical discipline with 3+ years of experience
• Experience in areas such as data-driven statistical modeling, discriminative methods, feature extraction and analysis, supervised learning.
• Proficient in R/ Python and SQL. Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Inquisitiveness and desire to learn.
• Strong analytical skills including the ability to structure problems for analysis, analyze the data and understand root cause.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and effectively prioritize competing objectives.
• Forecasting experience in an online and/or retail environment is preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong desire to work in cross functional teams
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
Data Scientist opportunity on the Customer Promise team.