Category Manager, Bikes
Walmart Stores SAN BRUNO, CA
About the Job
Want to help change the future of online commerce? Want to help millions of people create products that they love? The Personalised team at Walmart eCommerce (Walmart.com, Jet.com, & Hayneedle) is building a new type of customer-centric shopping experience at the intersection of content, commerce, and technology to help you find and buy things you love.
We are looking for an exceptional Category Manager to manage and grow a business, and manage levers across merchandising, marketing and product technology to drive GMV and profit results. Your ultimate goal is to build a strategy that will win market share, identify and develop talent within your direct reports & closely track your suite of products – determining competitive pricing that lives up to our brand promise, analyzing marketplace trends to identify new opportunities for the future, improving the customer experience through findability & securing marketing support for your key initiatives.
In this position, you’ll get to …
• Manage a business and bring the “art” to the “science” – using your intuition and expertise fueled by data, analytics and, above all, a passion for helping our customers save money and live better.
• Develop our people and lead a team of category specialists, driving skill development growth & continuous learning across entire direct report team.
• Give customers what they want and deliver best-in-class assortment & end-to-end customer experience in the market. You will Partner with internal teams across Product, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, and Customer Care to deliver a world-class customer-centric shopping experience.
• Drive Operating Efficiencies to continuously improve processes, data integrity, and systems to deliver operating leverage in how we do business.
• Innovate and leverage the enterprise’s (Walmart, Jet, Hayneedle) advantages to build scalable high growth businesses around immediate and emerging opportunities.
• Develop assortment, pricing, merchandising, marketing & product strategies to deliver to sales & profit goals & grow market share for your category.
• Drive team of category specialists to execute your strategies & iterate as needed, using effective communication & clear strategies.
• Determine white space in assortment/brands & secure partnerships to cover these using national brands or private brand partners.
• Own vendor relationships & strategically drive vendors to create unique assortments, deliver best-in-market pricing & ensure fast delivery.
• Build aspirational product stories & marketing assets, working with marketing partners to build traffic drivers for distinct customer profiles.
• Build best-in-class item content for entire assortment through efficient item set-up management.
Who You Are:
• You are a world-class operator and possess a unique combination of business acumen, product knowledge, analytical skills and problem-solving abilities.
• You can drive results and solve problems in fun and creative ways.
• You love data and have a strong analytical bent with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.
• You are a Team builder: You are a strong coach and mentor with a track record of building, driving and managing a high performing team.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, retail or related field and 3 years’ experience in business, retail or related field OR 5 years of experience in business, retail or related field.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• 2 years supervisory experience
• 6+ years of proven experience in merchandise, forecasting and product selection
• 4-5 years managing an ecommerce business, with specific experience related to marketing and site optimization
• 2-3 years developing strong business relationships with vendors and industry leaders
• 1-2 years’ experience managing and maintaining an open-to-buy
• MBA preferred
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
- Shopper/Customer Experience: Ensures online presence supports desired shopper/customer experience for products within a moderately-to-highly complex category across multiple websites, including product presentation, content, customer reviews and enhancements.
- Market Positioning and Analytics: Manages analysis for a moderately-to-highly complex category, including themes and competitive landscape, to stay on the cutting edge of product and eCommerce advancements impacting own category; Understands category site selection and product gaps in the category; works with team to close gaps; Continually evolves the category’s assortment strategy and logistics experience by leveraging analytics and through in-market expertise; Owns and optimizes the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors and third-party retailers, and manages warehouse inventory levels for directly-sourced product
- Category Financials: Supports GM in developing data-driven business plan for a moderately-to-highly complex category with tangible execution steps; Manages budgets, sets priorities and implements savings opportunities; Ensures achievement of category financial targets (e.g. GMV and margin), and identifies (and executes upon) levers to achieve those targets; Supports GM in managing P&L.
- Category Tracking/Monitoring: Manages all performance metrics for a moderately-to-highly complex category; Oversees the creation and maintenance of all item set up to ensure product line is accurately depicted in multiple systems for sales tracking for a moderately-to-highly complex category; Monitors product and category performance to identify improvement area and develops plans to drive enhanced results; Demonstrates expertise in multiple systems and sites throughout the category.
- Strategic Visioning: Defines success for a moderately-to-highly complex category and engages team to deliver business results consistent with category strategy; Works with GM to ensure vision and strategy are aligned with the broader organization; Supports GM with strategy development as needed.
- Business Relationships: Negotiates product costs, volume, etc. with brands for a moderately-to-highly complex category; Ensures proper distribution and pricing across warehouses and distributors for a moderately-to-highly complex category; Develops partnerships with retailers for a moderately-to-highly complex category.
- Collaboration: Develops deep expertise in inventory Management, Planning, and Site Merchandising as key to customer experience ownership for a moderately-to-highly complex category; Works with editors, writers and content sources to ensure category has the appropriate content, reviews and shop-ability features; Collaborates with marketing team around category promotions.
- People Development: Builds and leads a team to execute on business area or category objectives; Coaches team members and provides feedback to enhance skills, knowledge and work performance; Has performance and career development conversations; Maintains team motivation and engagement; Mentors Category Specialists.
- Empowering Others: Empowers associates within a moderately-to-highly complex category to execute their tasks and make decisions by trusting their capabilities, expertise and encouraging learning.
- Change Leadership: Encourages and helps others to improve on current ways of working, promotes new and innovative ideas and recognizes/rewards good ideas.