Staff Software Engineer
Walmart Stores SUNNYVALE, CA
About the Job
• Demonstrates up-to-date expertise in Software Engineering and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
• Leads proof-of-concept for medium to large initiatives; implements prototypes to validate ideas
• Designs and develops technical solutions for existing software products or for enhancements to new and future software releases
• Leads development of software requirements, understanding impact of architecture on overall solution.
• Performs root cause analysis and develops action plan and priorities for backlogs (identifying short- and long-term solutions); may lead implementation of plan.
• Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
• Be excited about making an immediate impact on a global scale
• 5+ years of experience with building scalable, high performing and robust Java applications
• Extensive Java / JEE programming experience with a focus on server side components
• Extensive experience in developing Web applications; Experience with Spring framework
• Experience with open source search engines like solr, lucene or elastic search
• Experience with no-sql technologies like Couchbase, Cassandra or Hbase
• Experience with distributed publish-subscribe messaging system like Kafka
• Advanced scripting skills in at least one of the following: Python, Perl or Shell and willingness to learn new technologies
• Experience with Eclipse or other IDE development tools
• Experience with Continuous Integration and related tools (i.e. Jenkins, Hudson, Maven)
• Experience with Code Quality Governance related tools (Sonar, Gerrit, PMD, FindBugs, Checkstyle, Emma, Cobertura, JIRA, etc)
• Experience with Source Code Management Tools (GitHUB, SVN, CVS, Clearcase)
• Expertise with some or all of Apache, JBoss / Tomcat, Jetty, JMS or other application servers like WebLogic, etc.
• Knowledge of standard tools for optimizing and testing code
• Ability to operate effectively and independently in a dynamic, fluid environment
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
• Experience in the search domain highly desirable
• Experience with big data methodologies involving Hive/Hadoop/ Spark; knowledge of relational database
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
Search Team Overview:
Search processes billions of queries for millions of products on Walmart sites and apps worldwide. Whenever a user types in a query or browses through product categories on the web site, phone or the iPad, our service goes to work. We mine structured and semi-structured data from product catalogs, social web, transactions, query logs, etc. at an unprecedented scale. We work on big data problems, cutting edge relevance algorithms from information retrieval, machine learning, and ranking to deliver a high-availability, low-latency service, which directly impacts business metrics.