Staff Software Engineer
Walmart Stores SUNNYVALE, CA
About the Job
· Work on design and implementation of high-availability, low-latency search service to process billions of queries for millions of products on Walmart sites and apps worldwide.
· Help design and implement cache layer that supports different systems in search like Preso, Polaris, Perceive to store metadata and cached data, and improve the search performance.
· Work with the search big data team to build and maintain search log analysis pipeline for performance tracking and analysis.
· Build and prototype Verticals programs like Home category to customize user experience to increase conversion and improve engagement.
· Work on Spring and other related technologies to design and develop high-performance and scalable applications for use by search team.
· Lead the design and implementation of distributed applications that are built using latest technologies like Micro Services, nosql database, Web APIs, and Kafka.
Interact with business to provide robust technical solution to business problems. Collaborate with distributed teams on high impact initiatives.
• 5+ years of experience with building scalable, high performing and robust Java applications
• Extensive Java / JEE programming experience with a focus on server side components
• Extensive experience in developing Web applications; Experience with Spring framework
• Experience with open source search engines like solr, lucene or elastic search
• Experience with no-sql technologies like Couchbase, Cassandra or Hbase
• Experience with distributed publish-subscribe messaging system like Kafka
• Advanced scripting skills in at least one of the following: Python, Perl or Shell and willingness to learn new technologies
• Experience with Eclipse or other IDE development tools
• Experience with Continuous Integration and related tools (i.e. Jenkins, Hudson, Maven)
• Experience with Code Quality Governance related tools (Sonar, Gerrit, PMD, FindBugs, Checkstyle, Emma, Cobertura, JIRA, etc)
• Experience with Source Code Management Tools (GitHUB, SVN, CVS, Clearcase)
• Expertise with some or all of Apache, JBoss / Tomcat, Jetty, JMS or other application servers like WebLogic, etc.
• Knowledge of standard tools for optimizing and testing code
• Ability to operate effectively and independently in a dynamic, fluid environment
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
• Experience in the search domain highly desirable
• Experience with big data methodologies involving Hive/Hadoop/ Spark; knowledge of relational databases
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
Search processes billions of queries for millions of products on Walmart sites and apps worldwide. Whenever a user types in a query or browses through product categories on the web site, phone or the iPad, our service goes to work. We mine structured and semi-structured data from product catalogs, social web, transactions, query logs, etc. at an unprecedented scale. We work on big data problems, cutting edge relevance algorithms from information retrieval, machine learning, and ranking to deliver a high-availability, low-latency service, which directly impacts business metrics.