Staff Software Engineer
Walmart Stores SUNNYVALE, CA
About the Job
You'll be responsible for design, development and operations of large-scale data systems operating at petabytes scale. You will be focusing on real-time indexing pipelines, streaming analytics, distributed machine learning infrastructure and other tasks as part of Search BigData team. You'll interact with the engineers, product managers and architects to provide scalable robust technical solutions.
• Design, develop, and implement large-scale distributed systems that process large volume of data; focusing on scalability, latency, and fault-tolerance in every system built.
• Design, develop, and operate web analytics solutions processing billions on daily clickstream events.
• Create systems that orchestrate and execute complex workflows in big-data pipelines.
• Evaluate and fine tune systems for speed, robustness, and cost efficiency.
• Create datasets, tools, and services supporting big data, search and machine learning operations.
• Own full life-cycle of business solutions – from requirements definition to launching in production.
• Troubleshoot business and production issues.
• Own multiple systems across the search big data platforms, and work with engineers, program managers, and engineering leaders to identify opportunities for business impact.
• Participate in setting a vision and objectives for the team in alignment with business and market needs.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
• 4+ years of object oriented programming experience in Java, Scala or similar language.
• 3+ years of experience in building of large scale data pipelines using big data technologies (i.e. Spark/Kafka/Cassandra/Hadoop/Hive/Pig).
• 3+ years of experience in systems design, algorithms, and distributed systems.
• 2+ years of experience in Python or Ruby, and SQL.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Large scale distributed systems experience, including scalability and fault tolerance.
• Experience in data analysis software, data warehousing and data processing (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Impala, and similar).
• Exposure to cloud infrastructure, such as Open Stack, GCP, Azure or AWS
• A continuous drive to explore, improve, enhance, automate and optimize systems and tools.
• Strong computer science fundamentals in data structures and algorithms
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
The Search Big Data team powers petabyte-scale search infrastructure of Walmart eCommerce business. We build and operate large-scale distributed systems and applications to process massive, and rich, data related to the search on Walmart websites. We work on big data problems, machine learning and real-time analytics at scale.