Senior Software Engineer
Walmart Stores SAN BRUNO, CA
About the Job
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise in Software Engineering and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale projects
- Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design
- Leads the work of other small groups of four to six engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions
- Provides support to the business
- Troubleshoots business and production issues
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years experience building scalable backend systems and/or performance related experience
2-5+ years of Programming experience in Go/C/C++/Java/Perl/Python
Strong background in process design for reliable systems; strong “big picture” awareness of systems
Good generalist experience, with ability and willingness to read and write into all layers of a software stack
Experience working with operations or with deployment, monitoring, and other sustainable operations of software a plus
Additional Preferred Qualifications
If you've dealt with large, scalable systems in the past, that would be great. A passion for performance and basic Bash and operations skills are also a plus, but not required.
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
Are you a Go (Golang to Google) developer? Do you have experience building backend, network related Golang applications? We've got a great position for you here at @WalmartLabs on our Torbit (Frontend Performance) Team. This position will help us create the backbone of the Torbit services, primarily focused on traffic routing, caching, and automated frontend optimization.
As a member of the team, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and supporting the operation of our Torbit optimization proxies and other services for monitoring and improving frontend performance. You will work with other Go developers and performance engineers to solve frontend performance bottlenecks and related issues.
We have a strong commitment to moving fast and solving real problems. We are providing critical infrastructure and need to be a part of the business that "just works". It will be your responsibility to meet this commitment, both individually and as a member of the team.
Come help us make Walmart.com faster!
Design, prototype, and develop high-performance software for our http proxy rewriting system for automated performance optimization
Maintain and expand upon our performance data related systems including a high throughput map/reduce interface on a custom time series database
Discover and implement new performance optimizations for the site and traffic routing
Build internal tools to monitor, manage, and automate existing systems
Make an impact on a global scale