Staff Software Engineer
Walmart Stores BAYONNE, NJ
About the Job
- Develops Innovation strategies, processes, and best practices
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects
- Ensures business needs are being met
- Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects
- Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design
- Leads the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates
- Supports business objectives
- Troubleshoots business and production issues
- Utilizes industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years experience building scalable ecommerce applications or mobile software
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Familiarity both with RHEL/Centos and Debian/Ubuntu OSs and package management
• Familiarity with Prometheus and Grafana
• Experience using Salt Stack configuration management
• Experience using Kubernetes (K8)
• Fluency in Go and Python
• An advanced understanding of network protocols such as Ethernet interface bonding, BGP,
overlays, SCTP and tunneling technologies
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
Purpose: DevOps / Operational support for Torbit Proxy in stores and DC deployments, consolidating
several different vertical proxy solutions reducing complexity and costs.
What you will do:
1. Join a fully distributed team that operates an international content delivery network (CDN), large scale clusters of reverse proxy servers and DNS-based (GLB) and in-line (layer 4 and layer 7) load balancers.
2. Act as a SRE to troubleshoot operational problems at the network, host and application levels.
3. Use configuration management systems to deploy and update software installations on
thousands of hosts
4. Build tooling to provide monitoring and alerting for key systems and provide automated and
manual issue mitigation solutions.