Senior Design Researcher
Walmart Stores PORTLAND, OR
About the Job
The UX Design team is crafting user experiences for Walmart customers who shop online on our sites from their desktops and mobile devices. It’s all about the user experience from ideation, exploring experience design concepts, to prototyping and testing. Our design teams include strategists, researchers, architects and designers who build delightful site experiences and apps.
At Walmart eCommerce, our customers are at the center of all our design efforts, and user experience research is one way we observe and listen to our customers to make sure we are designing the best experience for their needs. We look to the User Experience Researcher to represent the perspective of the user and help support our user insight strategy. We are looking for a strong senior researcher to join our Customer Experience Design Team.
Your Approach to Work:
• Research with agility: You have a strong working knowledge of formative & summative usability research methods, and how they are applied in a fast-moving organization. Experience with field studies, participatory design, heuristic evaluations, and competitive testing is also preferred.
• Actionable Findings: You translate insight into action. You help teams understand customer needs, attitudes, and behaviors through thoughtful & actionable research. Your work informs both strategic and tactical efforts.
• Creative: When you’re presented with a design or business problem, you think of multiple research approaches to help figure out how to make the experience easier and more delightful for our customer – and you’re excited to share the options as well as your recommendation.
• Collaborative: You use your knowledge of the Design process in collaboration with other researchers, designers, content strategists, architects, product managers, and engineers to help transform complex problems into easy-to-use products. You recommend how to best address our research goals & questions so your partners don’t have to.
• Self-motivated: You work without close supervision but you seek out and welcome feedback from senior Design leaders and managers.
Skills & Abilities We Look For:
• You are skilled at moderating live studies and know how to structure un-moderated studies.
• You seek to enhance your work by incorporating research actively seek out research & metrics from other sources to provide comprehensive recommendations that inform the design and business strategy.
• You work with our research partners (site analytics, market research) to synthesize and leverage existing data and coordinate research efforts
• You work quickly and efficiently without sacrificing quality and know how to adapt to the ever-changing priorities of the eCommerce business.
• You stay up-to-date with the latest industry news and developments.
• You contribute to team processes and standards and help establish best practices for research.
• You have strong presentation, communication, and negotiation skills
- Bachelor Degree in HCI, Psychology or other related field and 3 years design research experience OR Masters Degree and 2 years design research experience OR 7 years design research experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- 2 years experience researching front-end user experience solutions for mobile applications on major smartphone platforms (for example, Android, iOS).
- Master's Degree in Human Computer Interaction, Applied Statistics, Econometrics, Psychometrics, or related field.
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
Do you want to make an impact on the future of retail? Want to work in a fun, flexible, environment and have good work life balance?The Verticals team owns the new look and feel of our digital properties, which includes co-branded experiences such as home & fashion with best-in-class vertical apparel brands, as well as e-books, and experiences such as easy-reordering.The Verticals team is part of a broader e-commerce strategy to enhance the customer value proposition, including: Offering customers low prices and convenient ways of getting the items they buy every day, like food and consumables; Offering a vastly expanded assortment while building expertise in key long-tail categories, like apparel and home.