Distinguished Architect / Senior Director
Walmart Stores SUNNYVALE, CA
About the Job
- You have a passion for technology and an eagerness to apply the latest developments in the engineering field to the advancement of our systems’ design.
- You are a strategic and seasoned technology leader with strong eCommerce and retail instincts who is highly motivated by the idea of building a strong engineering team and working with cross-functional partners to develop roadmaps impacting both our stores and our platforms globally.
- Your cadence is a perfect match for the fast pace of Walmart Labs and you’re equally comfortable getting into the details of what it takes to get a great experience out the door as you are thinking about the long-term product and business strategy for our eCommerce and retail assets.
- You are excited to become a global leader within our organization and eager to lead and collaborate with our teams who sit abroad.
- You are an influential leader with vision. Your industry acumen, shopper empathy, and technical depth carry weight when working across business units in the organization.
- International travel is an inherent requirement with this role; you must be willing to travel at least 25% of the time.
- Lead the architectural strategy for the Walmart eCommerce International division of Walmart Labs, including: defining system solutions based on user/client needs, cost, and required integration with existing applications, systems, or platforms; researching, identifying, selecting, and testing technology products required for solution delivery; and establishing, implementing, and documenting the technology integration or migration strategies.
- Create a collaborative and effective working relationship with functional leaders around the globe to understand business challenges and prioritize solutions that will enable the success of these functions.
- Build, develop, and guide high-performing talent. Define a long-term talent strategy.
- Adapt and deliver on the Agile strategy for the team.
- Consistently scan the market / competitors and technology landscape for applicable market insights and learnings to improve our systems architecture approach / strategy.
- Promote and support company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity.
- Provide supervision, mentoring and development opportunities for associates and managers who report into you.
- BS/MS/PhD in engineering, information technology, computer science or related experience with 10+ years of experience in software product development and hands-on coding experience in the past.
- Extensive background in leading software engineering product teams.
- 10+ years of experience in various elements of full stack – front end, back end, data and insights.
- Technical leadership in design, implementation, and support of core database services that are highly reliable, flexible, and scalable.
- Extremely strong technical background with the capability of being hands-on if required and earn the respect and ability to mentor top individual technical talent.
- Good understanding of the retail and eCommerce technology domain.
- Proven track record of strong verbal/written communication and presentation skills, including an ability to communicate and negotiate with both business and technical teams. Great interpersonal skills.
- Good experience of working with globally distributed and cross-functional teams in a collaborative and productive manner to drive business objectives.
- Ability to attract, build, and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps, recruiting, and developing talent, and by supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning.
- When you add the numbers, you will realize that this role will probably help influence the largest pool of customers anywhere in the world. If that gives you goose bumps – then you are the kind of candidate we want!
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Our ideal candidate is an energetic, self-motivated individual focused on solving customer problems. He/she has a strong sense of product ownership and drive, coupled with a strong passion for technology and innovation. He /she is a thought leader, passionate about building nextgen products that delight our customers.
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
We are looking for a Systems Architecture leader to drive the architectural design, development, and deployment of sustainable and efficient systems across Walmart eCommerce’s global properties that address our customer’s needs, are efficient for our business, and are technologically sound.
As a Senior Director of Systems Architecture at Walmart Labs, you’ll have the opportunity to help define, implement, manage and deliver International eCommerce solutions that will power commerce across our international markets. You will be developing technical strategies for applications and systems by promoting an understanding of the technology and business roadmap. You will help in building & managing a high performing team that can work directly with global markets in delivering scalable local solutions in line with the global design.