Senior Data Scientist (GEC11902)
Walmart Stores SAN BRUNO, CA
About the Job
- A Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets to develop custom models and algorithms to drive business solutions. Data Scientists work on project teams in order to provide analytical support to projects (for example, email targeting, business optimization, consumer recommendations) for Walmart eCommerce. Data Scientists are responsible for building large data sets from multiple sources in order to build algorithms for predicting future data characteristics. Those algorithms will be tested, validated, and applied to large data sets. Data Scientists are responsible for training the algorithms so they can be applied to future data sets and provide the appropriate search results. Data Scientists are responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology (for example, HBase, MapReduce, LAPack, Gurobi) and analytical skills to support their assigned project.
- Build complex data sets from multiple data sources, both internally and externally.
- Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows and offline data analysis.
- Combine data features to determine search models.
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and significant data relationships.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Develop custom data models to drive innovative business solutions.
- Develop models of current state in order to determine needed improvements.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions
- Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
- Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
- Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R, Matlab,ILog).
- Validate models and algorithmic techniques.
- Work with cross-functional partners across the business
Previous experience solving problems in NLP like Question Answering (QA), Search, Spoken Language Understanding (SLU) etc.
Previous experience with deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, MXNet, DyNet, and Chainer.
Experience with tools and techniques used to deal with unstructured data, including building and leveraging Knowledge Bases, Ontologies, etc.
Self-starter, Quick learner, Keen observer, eye for detail and someone who relishes
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Previous experience solving problems in NLP like question answering, search etc.
- Experience with tools and techniques used to deal with unstructured data
- Strong development skills around building scalable low-latency web-services
- Self-starter, Quick learner, Keen observer, eye for detail and someone who relishes challenges
- PhD in Machine Learning, NLP, Information-Retrieval or related fields.
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
As the Walmart Voice Commerce team we are building completely new capabilities to allow our customers to shop by seamlessly interacting with their connected devices using spoken language. This team is part of the Growth organization and will build new voice experiences both in-house and in collaboration with strategic partners. Voice as a medium for shopping is still in its infancy and as part of this team you will get to work on industry leading solutions and be at the forefront of this emerging platform. You will get to part of defining how customers shop in everyday lives.
We are seeking NLP/Machine Learning data-scientists to be part of this new team. As part of this team you will get to experiment and innovate on behalf of our customers. The successful candidate will have a Masters/PhD in Computer Science with a strong focus on machine learning, or a related field, and 2+ years of practical experience applying ML to solve complex problems in recommender systems, information retrieval, NLP or dialogue systems. As part of this team you will be at the forefront of enabling next generation shopping experiences including through Voice Assistants and Connected Devices.